16.10.07

The Secret to Going Home for Lunch

Pay close attention.

I have unlocked the secret to having a successful, well-planned lunch date. I uncovered it yesterday afternoon - by accident, of course.

First off, let me remind you of our last lunch date at my house. The one that actually happened. It was completely random and spontaneous. And because of this, my house looked like a complete disaster area. Stuff was everywhere. Beds were unmade. Dishes were not done. Stuff was everywhere. A mass of paperwork had accumulated on my kitchen island. Bathrooms needed to be cleaned. Stuff was everywhere. And, worse yet, my bra and panties did not match.

As soon as he called, I rushed home and matched up my undies. Then I completed a power hour of cleaning and organization. Which all worked out well in the end...but was damn inconvenient and tiring.

Now moving onto what happened yesterday. I started the day off with big plans. BIG. PLANS. Correction: BIG LUNCH PLANS. And guess who they were with? You guessed it! MG and I had decided early Sunday morning that we needed a Monday lunch date. As you know by now, we haven't gotten nearly enough alone time lately.

In anticipation of our big date, I cleaned my house from top to bottom all day on Sunday. I did laundry, yard work, washed and cleaned out the car, watered the flowers, scrubbed bathrooms, etc. I annihilated the kitchen and then would not allow anyone to cook and/or eat anything that involved grease, pots & pans, or, well, dishes.

By 9:00 p.m., I had used up all of my elbow grease and I was dirt tired. Remember, I was coming off of two days' worth of late-night phone calls with MG.

Monday morning I picked out some very nice matching underwear and strategically chose my outfit. All was going well.

In the morning we shared a couple of really sweet exchanges filled completely to the brim with flirty excitement.

Lunchtime approached.

And he invited me into his office for a second.

That's when he told me he had a basketball meeting scheduled for noon. The coach called at 11 a.m. and demanded a noon meeting. He even told her he had lunch plans, but it was pertinent. Anyway, we decided to sort of play it by ear to see how long the meeting was to last.

The first bad sign was that she didn't arrive until 12:15 p.m. Doesn't she know we have other, better things to do?! The second, and fatal, sign was that she was here to argue. And blabber on and on and on and on. She left at 1:40 p.m.

1:40. Geezus.

So we didn't have our lunch date. Unless you count me running out to pick us up some take-out. Not exactly what we had in mind. We finished the day with a sweet walk out to my car and a cute little talk. Then we went our separate ways.

Today has been kinda the same. We are just hanging out. Doing our thing. He ran out for a few minutes and picked us up some lunch. So much for our well-thought-out plan, huh?

At least I learned one important lesson this week: The secret to planning a successful lunch date is - DON'T PLAN ONE AT ALL.

That'll get ya every time.

No comments: